Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
Lynchburg College Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC)
Article I. Name The name of the committee shall be Lynchburg College Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (LC SAAC).
Article II. Purpose The primary purpose of the LC SAAC is to serve as a representative body of Lynchburg College student-athlete leaders regarding all matters related to athletics and the Old Dominion Athletic Conference. Committee members will serve to increase communication and relationship between all student-athletes, coaches, student body, and administration as well as provide leadership opportunities for the student-athletes of Lynchburg College.
Committee members should also work to enhance the image of student-athletes both on campus and in the community.
Article III. Membership
1. All 21 varsity sports and athletic training department shall appoint two representatives, one upperclassmen and one underclassmen (preferably), to the LC SAAC; so both members do not rotate off the committee at the same time.
2. SAAC members must be eligible student-athletes in good academic standing.
3. Student-athlete must be willing to help out and improve athletics at Lynchburg College.
4. Each varsity sport is asked to submit names of its representative no later than October 1 each year.
5. If student-athlete is unable to attend a scheduled meeting, the sport may send a substitute representative to that meeting.
6. Athletic coaches nominate who they think will be a good team representative into SAAC, the student-athlete has the authority to accept or decline this offer.
7. One Coach shall be asked to become the Advisor of the committee each year, which is ineligible to vote in committee decisions. He or she will serve as a resource and liaison.
8. The Athletic Director (AD) shall over look all events of the committee, due to his/her knowledge of Lynchburg College Athletic Department and is also ineligible to vote.
9. An Athletic Trainer (AT) may also be asked to assist each year for physical health purposes of the athlete representatives and their teammates, though they are ineligible to vote.
1. The committee will select or vote a President, Vice President, Secretary, and a Treasurer each year. Each Officer must be involved in a Varsity Sport at Lynchburg College.
A. President- presides over the SAAC meetings, works with the Athletic Director and the coaches; serve as a spokesperson. Acts as a liaison between the organization and campus community, administration, and SGA. Must also attend monthly SGA Executive Council Meetings.
B. Vice- President- assumes all duties of the President in the absence of, or at the direction of, the committee President.
C. Secretary- must attend all meetings and records each meetings minutes. The minutes must be typed up and distributed to Athletic Department to post online, President of Committee, and the SGA.
D. Treasurer- handles money orders, receipts, fills out the committee budget packet each semester as applicable, and attends SGA Treasures meetings.
2. Officers will be elected during the last meeting of the school year or when new elections are in order.
3. To fill a vacancy mid- year volunteers will be chosen and in the case of more than one volunteer, voting will occur.
4. If more than one person volunteers for an officer position then committee will vote. Then current officers will discuss whether the person is a proper candidate to run SAAC. If no more than one volunteers then same procedures are taken too.
5. Person is eligible to hold office if they are in the Sophomore Class or above, have been a representative in the committee for at least one year, have good academic standing, and be responsible.
Article IV. Meetings
There will be one meeting monthly for Executive Board and Representatives and an additional Executive Board meeting monthly.
Meetings will be conducted in a proper manner. President will mark who is in attendance, summarize events from last meeting and address remarks of alterations. Representative will be allowed to comment on what they have accomplished with their sports team in the past month, report any topics they have been asked to mention by their coach and/or fellow teammate. The President will address new matter and dates for upcoming events; group will discuss or vote on new matter. Meeting will be adjourned with closing remarks by all Officers and Advisors.
Special meetings may be called as the need arises. Student-athletes will be notified of any unscheduled meetings. Notification will be given via email.
Article V. Quorum
In order for a vote in the committee to count, two- thirds of the representatives must be present. This allows the majority of the committee to have a say in the decisions of the committee.
Eligible to vote is any representative and Executive members present at that meeting. Important matters, such as new Officers will be announced prior to meeting, other situations will be based on meeting’s agenda.
Article VI. Amendments and By-Laws
For changes to be made to the LC SAAC Constitution one must confront the President who then can agree or disagree to the change (a vote my or may not be in order). If agreed to change Constitution must be revised and sent into the Senate through the SGA to seek approval.